Friday, May 23, 2014

Writing's on the wall




Even before I started working for the largest greeting card company in the world, I had a greeting card problem...I blame my mother. Ever since I can remember, my mother has had drawers of greetings cards for "just in case" moments. For every 1 she sent, she would go out and buy 10 more. It's almost as if it's a game she plays with herself, which I have now inherited, as to search high and low for the most perfect birthday, symphony, love, 'just because', thinking of you card. We buy birthday cards for people 250 days before their actual birthday...it's a sick, sick game we play with ourselves.

The first step is admitting you have a problem...so, I have a greeting card addiction. However, I am how starting to figure out that when I buy cards with no one in mind, and no purpose, maybe it's me that needs that moment of encouraging words or good hard laugh. Maybe, instead of telling myself that someday, somebody I know will need a pick me up or the perfect birthday card I should realize it's me that needs it.

My 'ink to paper' addiction has now been brought into my home and thankfully, Scott has allowed this. I have inspirational words or sayings in every room of our house. No, it does not look like a the religious aisle of Hobby Lobby but they're just sayings thrown around my house that at some point in time helped me out of darkness or reminds me a sweet memory. For instance, my Ben's Garden plate that has my most favorite saying from Winnie the Pooh that everyday reminds me of Scott. Or, the lyrics to "you are my sunshine" over my kitchen table. Every night before I would go to sleep my dad would sing this to me and, it's borderline embarrassing at what age he stopped...(TBD).

Fashion and style go beyond just the shirt on your back, or the brand on the soles of your shoes. It says something about you when you aren't able to talk, when you aren't there, style lives on long after you are gone. And, if the one memory someone has of me is "that one time I was really sad and I got the most perfect card" then, well, my addiction has been worth it.

{Amy}

No comments:

Post a Comment