Monday, May 12, 2014

Go with the flow

Maxi Skirt: Nordstrom, similar here // Clutch: Kate Spade // Bracelets: Trouve, DIY, and Jade, David Yurman, Tiffanys // Ring: Tiffanys // Watch: Michele // Chambray: J. Crew // Cami: Tibi, similar color // Shoes: Birkenstock // Necklace: World market 
Photography: Lauren Frisch

I don't know about you but right when a new trend comes out I find myself saying "oh, never!", "not in a million years will you catch me wearing leggings", "only catholic school girls and soccer moms wear David Yurman", "This isn't little house on the prairie, over my dead body will I wear a 'maxi' skirt or dress!" "I'm far from a hippie so would would I EVER wear birkenstocks?" And as it always goes, I end up eating my words, and usually within a few weeks of me declaring my intent of never falling for these trends. I.E...THIS ENTIRE OUTFIT.

Isn't this also so true in life? For instance, I have always struggled with forgiveness, and am damn good at holding a grudge. I want so badly for people to not only look at me as a strong, independent woman that holds her own and never gives into trends, forgiveness, or peer pressure but in the end the only person I am hurting is myself. I can tell you from experience that nothing good comes from going to sleep with a grudge on your heart. I did this for a solid 4 years after my parents divorce and paid a pretty penny for medicine to help cure chronic back and neck pains. 

Whether we are talking about fashion or whether we are talking about life, sometimes the best thing to do is give in to the trends and go with the flow. Forgive your friends for not calling you back, forgive your significant other for forgetting to take the trash out, let go of the resentment you have towards someone who is farther than you in their career, and give in to the trends. We don't have to forget how it made us feel, and we don't have to stop questioning why it happened but, sometimes, going with the flow is the best thing for your soul.

{Amy}

No comments:

Post a Comment