Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Home

 
hat: Milk & Honey Boutique// Jeans: Seven for all Mankind// Chambray shirt: J. Crew // Tee: Home Tee.// Jacket: Kate Spade // Shoes: Rebecca Minkoff // City: Chicago


I have been beyond fortunate to be able to call some fabulous places 'Home'. I lived in London for 3 months while studying abroad (and left a little bit of my heart there), lived in Dallas on 2 different occasions to total 4 great year (although I could not get out of there fast enough). Houston was probably the low point in my family's living situation but I was able to experience a pool in my backyard which, at 6 years old, is on a totally different level.

I went to college at the University of Missouri and lived in Columbia for 4 amazing years. Columbia is where I found my people. The people that pushed me to be a better person, the people that loved me just the way I (and my family) was, and the people that would never leave my side.

After college I needed to "find myself" (news flash: you never really 'find' yourself and a tip of advice, you definitely won't find her 10 bud lights deep in a bar.) so I moved to Chicago. Chicago lasted all of 12 months but it changed me. It made me grow up and force me out of my comfort zone. I learned about heartbreak, admitting fault, and knowing when it's time to let things go.

I live in Kansas City now and it is my childhood. I grew up here, found my husband here, bought a house here, and where I hope to raise my family. I get gitty when I hear 'start me up' by the Rolling Stones (only chiefs fans will understand), and crave having barbecue sauce roll down my arms. I've lived here for close to 20 years and as many bad memories as some of these streets hold for me, I always look forward to coming home.

However, if you were to ask me "where are you from?" With a defiant answer, it is always 'Fairhope'. Fairhope, Alabama is where I was born and where my dad's side of the family still resides. It is a perfectly quaint small utopia on the Mobile bay. Everyone knows everyone else's business and at any given moment you're bound to run into someone you grew up with. There is something about the crisp southern air that makes everything okay. When I'm there, I move slower, talk slower, and just breathe. I long for walks on the pier at dusk and yearn for dinners that last too long on my grandma's porch.

Last weekend I traveled to Chicago for a dear friends wedding weekend and I combined 3 of my most favorite things. I wore my Alabama tee that was given to me by my best friend, whom I met in Columbia, on my way to a friends wedding in Chicago. Roll this outfit up, put a bow on it and call me happy.

{Amy}

No comments:

Post a Comment